Black Bean Soup
It’s cold and raining outside and I don’t want to go to the market. Black bean soup is a recipe that can easily be made if you properly stock your pantry. When I don’t feel like making a big to-do about food but I want something home cooked, it’s time for pantry soup. I call this my “lazy lady soup” because I get a lot of help from the grocery store. Keep these canned food items in the pantry so you have a meal that is ready, set and go.
(4) 15.5 oz cans of black beans, 32 oz chicken stock, 14.5 oz stewed chopped tomatoes, 1/2 green pepper chopped or approx 1 cup, 1/2 red pepper chopped, 1 cup of pre-chopped onions, 5 cloves of garlic minced, 1 1/2 tsp of kosher salt and 4 strips of bacon chopped. Creama, cilantro, lime wedges, jalapeños and tortilla strips optional.
On medium-high heat add chopped bacon into pot. Render bacon fat and when bacon starts to brown add the onions, red and green peppers. Sauté for 5-10 minutes to soften vegetables.
Once vegetables are softened add garlic and incorporate for 2 minutes then add canned tomatoes including juices. Cook for another 5 minutes to break down tomatoes. Open black beans and drain juice and rinse.
Then add black beans to pot.
Add chicken stock and puree with an hand immersion blender. Blend until smooth and bring to a boil. Add salt and reduce for 5 minutes. During this time you can make tortilla strips, chop cilantro and lime wedges.
Make fancy design with creama using a squirt bottle. Add tortilla strips and cilantro. Enjoy with a squeeze of lime or chopped jalapeño for some heat.
- To learn how to design with squirt bottles see blog Nana’s Hot Chocolate.
- To learn how to make tortilla strips see blog Chicken Soup for the Soul
- This is great with grilled chipotle shrimp as well to make a substantial meal.
- If you can find pre chopped green and red peppers as well this soup is even easier.
- A well stocked pantry will save you, add these items to your grocery list.